This Week in Dose Response highlights game changes done in the last week or so. It is inspired by the weekly thread at the roguelikedev subreddit.
(Dose Response is a small open-world roguelike where you play an addict)
Changes this week:
- Added icon to the Windows executable
- Added a progress bar for increasing your Will stat (in the top-right corner next to the Will number)
- Companion NPCs are always visible (even outside FoV or in unexplored areas)
- More work (visuals, blog, content) on the new website: tryjumping.com
- Starting the game now shows the main menu (as opposed to the actual game) first
The latest change is a bit bittersweet. I really liked the way Braid just dumped you into the game as soon as you started it without faffing about with the UI.
But ultimately, most games show you the menu first, so it’s familiar to the players and there are things you may want to do first (reading the help, switching to full screen, loading a game).
After several months, I’ve also finally won the game fair and square again \o/. Always a good feeling :-).